What should I expect after esophageal ablation?

Barrett's esophagus is a pre-cancerous condition affecting the lining of the esophagus (the tube that carries food from the mouth to the stomach). Ablation (or coagulation) is a technique where tissue is heated until unwanted cells lining the esophagus are destroyed.

After esophageal ablation:
  • You will be given directions for care after your treatment.
  • You may have a sore throat after your treatment. This is common.
  • Your doctor may give you a prescription for pain control, if needed.
  • You will be on a restricted diet right after the treatment. You will be on a full liquid diet for the first 24 hours and a soft diet after that.

Continue Learning about Digestive Health

Your Gut and Heart Health Connection
Your Gut and Heart Health Connection
What does your gut have to have to do with your heart health and other chronic diseases? A lot. In the past few years, scientists have been investiga...
If I have EPI, what high-calorie foods are good for me to eat?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
If you have exocrine pancreatic insufficiency (EPI) there are lots of reasonably healthy, high-calor...
4 Ways Your Gut Affects Your Health
4 Ways Your Gut Affects Your Health4 Ways Your Gut Affects Your Health4 Ways Your Gut Affects Your Health4 Ways Your Gut Affects Your Health
Your gut is responsible for more than digestion; it can reveal illness, too.
Is Your Gut Responsible for Weight Gain?