What can affect the smell of my stool?

Robynne K. Chutkan, MD
Gastroenterology
The odor of your stool is highly dependent on a number of factors, including how long it's been sitting in your colon, your diet, medications you may be taking and, in some cases, the presence of infection. Bacterial imbalance (dysbiosis) in the gastrointestinal (GI) tract and undigested fat can also lead to a change in odor.

Continue Learning about Digestive Health

Your 8-Step Plan for Living With Diverticular Disease
Once you have been diagnosed with diverticular disease, the goal of your treatment will be to keep your symptoms in check and prevent complications. T...
What are some effects of too much acid in the body?
What are some effects of too much acid in the body? An overly acidic system can wreak havoc not just...
5 Foods for Healthy Digestion
5 Foods for Healthy Digestion5 Foods for Healthy Digestion5 Foods for Healthy Digestion5 Foods for Healthy Digestion
Reach for these when your tummy rumbles.
How Do I Know If I Have a Digestive Enzyme Deficiency?