How does smoking affect a healthy gastrointestinal system?

Smoking may adversely affect all parts of an otherwise healthy gastrointestinal (GI) system. Smoking may contribute to acid reflux disease and heartburn because of increased pressure on the passage between the stomach and the esophagus.

Smoking may increase acid secretion and decrease pancreatic secretion, resulting in stomach disorders. Smoking may aggravate or contribute to development of peptic ulcers. If individuals who already have ulcers continue to smoke, the ulcers may never heal.

Smoking may interfere with the liver's functioning. Smoking damages the liver, and so the liver cannot metabolize medications and toxins effectively.

By smoking, an individual may also increase risk of cancer, and Crohn's disease.

Continue Learning about Digestive Health

Worst Case Scenario: I Swallowed Gum
Worst Case Scenario: I Swallowed Gum
You may have heard that swallowed gum stays in your stomach for seven years. But is it true? Gum sales are about $25 billion globally, so some of thos...
What does healthy poop look like?
Almost nobody likes to talk about their bowel movements. Learn about your bowel as Dr. Oz discusses ...
Poop Red Flags You Need to Know About
Poop Red Flags You Need to Know AboutPoop Red Flags You Need to Know AboutPoop Red Flags You Need to Know AboutPoop Red Flags You Need to Know About
Here’s when to worry if something’s not coming out right. 
What to Drink If You Have a Leaky Gut
What to Drink If You Have a Leaky Gut