What is the prognosis for swallowing disorders (dysphagia)?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

The prognosis for dysphagia depends upon the type of swallowing problem and the course of the neurological disorder that produces it. In some cases, dysphagia can be partially or completely corrected using diet manipulation or noninvasive methods. In others, especially when the dysphagia is causing aspiration—thereby preventing adequate nutrition and causing weight loss—it may require aggressive intervention such as a feeding tube. For those with progressive degenerative neurological disorders, dysphagia will be only one in a cluster of symptoms and disabilities that have to be treated.

This answer is based on source information from the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke.

Continue Learning about Digestive Health

Should I Avoid Foods That Contain Gluten If I Don't Have Celiac Disease?
When Is It Time to Call the Pediatrician?
How Can I Detoxify My Digestive Tract Naturally?
Common Tests Explained: Endoscopy
Common Tests Explained: Endoscopy