How can I maintain a healthy gastrointestinal system?

Lifestyle choices play a significant role in gastrointestinal (GI) health. To maintain a healthy GI system, you should eat a healthy diet high in fiber. Drink six to eight glasses of water daily, and don't consume too much alcohol. It's also recommended that you eat moderately and slowly. You should exercise regularly and reduce stress. Practice good hygiene--handwashing, food safety procedures, disinfection of surfaces--to avoid gastroenteritis. Lastly, if you smoke, quit.

Continue Learning about Digestive Health

A Bread Spread That's Good for Your Stomach
When you have a craving for something creamy and hearty to spread on your crackers and breads, whip up a bean spread. Your tummy will thank you. Beca...
How does the bacteria in my gut affect my health?
Alejandro Junger, MDAlejandro Junger, MD
The good bacteria in your gut serve some important functions: pre-digesting food, detoxifying the bo...
5 Foods for Healthy Digestion
5 Foods for Healthy Digestion5 Foods for Healthy Digestion5 Foods for Healthy Digestion5 Foods for Healthy Digestion
Reach for these when your tummy rumbles.
Introducing Dr. Oz’s On-Set Exam Room
Introducing Dr. Oz’s On-Set Exam Room