What is a living donor liver transplantation via laparoscopy?

The program at NewYork-Presbyterian/Columbia is the only one in the country to perform living donor liver transplantation via laparoscopy in select donors. We have used this approach to perform living donor liver transplantation from an adult to a child, and we are working to expand this program to adult-to-adult transplants. The benefits of the laparoscopic approach for the donor include:

- smaller incision and reduced recovery time – from 4-8 weeks to just 2-3 weeks
- less pain and fatigue
- decreased use of analgesia
- reduced risk of complications
- faster recovery of the donor and reduced stress on the family

Continue Learning about Digestive Health

How a Poop Transplant Cures Infection
How a Poop Transplant Cures Infection
Every year, about 500,000 Americans become sick with Clostridium difficile (C. diff) infections, caused by bacteria that invades the colon. But the mo...
What are some effects of too much acid in the body?
What are some effects of too much acid in the body? An overly acidic system can wreak havoc not just...
4 Ways Your Gut Affects Your Health
4 Ways Your Gut Affects Your Health4 Ways Your Gut Affects Your Health4 Ways Your Gut Affects Your Health4 Ways Your Gut Affects Your Health
Your gut is responsible for more than digestion; it can reveal illness, too.
What Increases My Risk for Digestive Diseases?