What would exclude me from receiving a liver transplant?

Dr. Ajay K. Sahajpal, MD
Transplant Surgeon

Generally, patients who meet criteria for needing a liver transplant are evaluated and presented at a selection conference made up of a multidisciplinary team. The exclusions are really based on the cause. If for example, someone has alcoholic liver disease and is still actively/recently drinking, then that would generally exclude them. If the transplant is for cancer, and the cancer has already spread beyond the liver, then that would exclude them.

Selection committees evaluate medical, social and financial issues to determine the candidacy of a patient for a transplant. 

Liver transplant is treatment for end-stage liver disease in people who are expected to live more than 5 years after transplantation. Things that would exclude transplant include untreated heart disease, severe lung disease, active or recent cancer, dementia and inability to take immunosuppression after transplantation.

Lung injuries and uncontrolled infections would make it difficult to receive a liver transplant.

Continue Learning about Digestive Health

Poop: What You Need to Know
Poop: What You Need to Know
We talk about poop a lot here at Sharecare -- ever since Dr. Oz got on the bandwagon about how your bowel movements can say a lot about your health (a...
How can I get rid of toxins?
Troy D. Schmidt, MDTroy D. Schmidt, MD
Toxins in the body build up daily. A great way to prevent toxin build up is to drink plenty of water...
5 Foods for Healthy Digestion
5 Foods for Healthy Digestion5 Foods for Healthy Digestion5 Foods for Healthy Digestion5 Foods for Healthy Digestion
Reach for these when your tummy rumbles.
How Do I Know If I Have a Digestive Enzyme Deficiency?