How much does a liver transplant cost?

Katrina Bramstedt, PhD
Health Education

The answer depends on what country you live in as prices for the surgery varies widely. Most importantly, the organ is a gift-- there is no price tag on it. The fees experienced are for the surgery, hospitalization costs, medication, etc. Patients should NEVER be charged for the organ itself. In fact, in most countries, it is illegal to buy or sell human organs.

According to the United Network for Organ Sharing (www.unos.org), the estimated U.S. average in 2011 of billed charges for a liver transplant was US$577,100.

Continue Learning about Digestive Health

Common Questions about Bloating and Gas
Common Questions about Bloating and Gas
I hear concerns about gas and bloating all the time from patients. What may freak you out is that the average adult produces about one to three pints ...
How can my gut health impact my mood and emotions?
Dr. David Perlmutter, MDDr. David Perlmutter, MD
Gut health can have a big impact on your mood and emotions, because the gut is always influencing th...
4 Ways Your Gut Affects Your Health
4 Ways Your Gut Affects Your Health4 Ways Your Gut Affects Your Health4 Ways Your Gut Affects Your Health4 Ways Your Gut Affects Your Health
Your gut is responsible for more than digestion; it can reveal illness, too.
How Can Herbs Help Improve My Digestion?