How can I take care of myself while I have a feeding tube?

It’s important to take care of yourself while you have a feeding tube. Your teeth still need to be cleaned, even if you don’t use them to eat food, so make sure you brush them regularly. Your dentist will also see you often to check on your teeth.

You should let your doctor know immediately if your gastrostomy is leaking or bleeding, or if the tube falls out of your stoma. If something is blocking your feeding tube, make sure you tell your doctor. Don’t try to fix it yourself. Your doctor and nurse will check your feeding tube and show you how to take care of it. If you have any questions, just ask them!

You should take care of the skin around your stoma and wash it every day.

Continue Learning about Digestive Health

Leafy Greens - Fuel for Good Gut Bacteria
When future basketball Hall-of-Famer Bill Walton was winning NBA championships for the Portland Trail Blazers and others, he was the best-known vegeta...
What are anal fistulas?
NewYork-Presbyterian HospitalNewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
Anal fistulas are abnormal, small channels or connections between the rectum and skin in the anorect...
Embarrassing Stomach Issues, Solved
Embarrassing Stomach Issues, SolvedEmbarrassing Stomach Issues, SolvedEmbarrassing Stomach Issues, SolvedEmbarrassing Stomach Issues, Solved
Find out if your gas, grunts and growls are normal and what to do about them.
What Are the Health Benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar?