How can robotic-assisted surgery be used for gallbladder removal?

Robotic-assisted laparoscopic gallbladder removal can be accomplished through just one small incision (typically, a laparoscopic gallbladder removal is done through four small incisions). In the robotic procedure, a new type of access device with small instruments can be inserted in the area around the belly button and remove the gallbladder. This results in one versus four scars, and one area of pain versus four. There are real advantages to that.

Robotic-assisted surgery currently is a very popular method for removal of the gallbladder. Robotic-assisted surgery can prevent the need for open abdominal surgery, unless there is complex gallbladder disease such as cancer. Essentially, instead of a large incision on the right side of the belly with open surgery, robotic surgery requires just three small holes (each about 1 cm) for the arms of the robot. Recovery time is faster with robotic surgery, assuming there are no complications. When robotic surgery is planned, the surgeon will probably advise the person that there is a chance open surgery will be necessary if during the robotic method severe disease is discovered.

Continue Learning about Digestive Health

3 Surprising Causes Of Constipation
3 Surprising Causes Of Constipation
A Chinese man had an 11-pound bowel movement removed from his colon after having been constipated for a decade. While that’s about as extreme as it ge...
What is the role of the gallbladder in digestion?
NewYork-Presbyterian HospitalNewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
The gallbladder is a small sac located under the liver which stores and concentrates bile, which is ...
When Bloating May Be Something Serious
When Bloating May Be Something SeriousWhen Bloating May Be Something SeriousWhen Bloating May Be Something SeriousWhen Bloating May Be Something Serious
Seven serious conditions that cause bloating.
How Does What I Eat Affect the Good Bacteria in My Gut?