How do refractory ulcers affect the body?

Ulcers that fail to heal, or refractory ulcers, can affect the body if they become complicated. For instance, scar tissue around the reoccurring ulcer can cause changes in your dietary functions. The tissue may make it harder for you to pass food through your digestive tract, leading to weight loss and dehydration. In addition, individuals with ulcers are at risk of hemorrhage, or internal bleeding, which can cause anemia. Finally, another way in which refractory ulcers affect the body is through the increased risk of stomach cancer. People who have ulcers that are caused by H. pylori bacteria-the most common cause of peptic ulcers - are three to six times more likely to get stomach cancer than unaffected persons. Interestingly, ulcers caused by anything but H. pylori do not increase a sufferer's risk of stomach cancer.

Continue Learning about Digestive Health

Do You Have the Guts to Get a Good Night’s Sleep?
The Science of Sleep is a 2006 French fantasy/sci-fi flick that suggests for many folks the line between being awake and sound asleep is pretty fuzzy ...
How long does it take to receive a liver transplant?
Methodist Specialty and Transplant HospitalMethodist Specialty and Transplant Hospital
A liver transplant operation takes anywhere between five and eight hours.
Embarrassing Stomach Issues, Solved
Embarrassing Stomach Issues, SolvedEmbarrassing Stomach Issues, SolvedEmbarrassing Stomach Issues, SolvedEmbarrassing Stomach Issues, Solved
Find out if your gas, grunts and growls are normal and what to do about them.
How Can I Detoxify My Digestive Tract Naturally?