How much pain will I have after a liver transplant?

There is pain after liver transplant surgery; however, it is generally not as severe as with other abdominal surgeries. This is because nerves are severed during the initial abdominal incision causing numbness of the skin around the abdomen. These nerves regenerate over the following six months and sensation returns. More common post-transplant discomfort is back pain associated with the length of time on the operating table. The transplant team prescribes the appropriate pain medicine for each patient.

Continue Learning about Digestive Health

Stomach Bug or Food Poisoning? Here's How to Tell
Plagued with nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain and diarrhea? There could be several conditions causing your discomfort, such as a bug you caught from y...
What is put into the feeding tubes used in enteral nutrition?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
For enteral nutrition, the food put into the feeding tube comes as a liquid called formula. This for...
Embarrassing Stomach Issues, Solved
Embarrassing Stomach Issues, SolvedEmbarrassing Stomach Issues, SolvedEmbarrassing Stomach Issues, SolvedEmbarrassing Stomach Issues, Solved
Find out if your gas, grunts and growls are normal and what to do about them.
What Are Ways to Include Yogurt in My Diet?