How should I manage my medications before and after my liver transplant?

You will be taking a lot of medications before and after liver transplant. While the medications you take before transplant may prevent you from having a hospital admission due to decompensation, the medications you take after transplant may prevent you from having an episode of rejection, harming your new organ. Either way, it is very important that you know the names of your medications, their indications, and who prescribed them. You don't need to memorize this information as you may, one day, not be able to remember them.

However, you can keep a list of your medications. You should have a list of medications on your person, at home, and with your healthcare proxy/primary caregiver.

Plan ahead. Renew and refill your medications in a timely manner. Do not wait until the day you run out of your medication to request a prescription refill or refill your medications. It is unlikely that you will be able to have a same day refill sent to your pharmacy. You do not want to be in a situation where the pharmacy is out of your medication and you have to wait a few days for a refill.

Continue Learning about Digestive Health