How do I manage my esophageal ulcer on a daily basis?

If you have an esophageal ulcer, you must think of your condition on a daily basis in order to promote healing and avoid symptoms. You can care for your condition a daily basis by:

• Taking your medication. If you don't take your ulcer medication, your ulcer might be come refractory, which means it will not heal.
  • Reduce acid production. Stay away from foods and activities that cause your body to produce more acid. For instance, stop smoking, reduce stress, and don't eat foods that cause GERD, if you have the condition.
  • See your doctor if you think you might have a complicated ulcer. If you notice sharp pain, notice blood in your vomit or stool, or notice a change in your appetite, you likely need to see your doctor.

Continue Learning about Digestive Health

Six Foods Your Gut Bugs Love—and Four They Hate
Next time you open the fridge, remember that you’re not just eating for one. You’re also feeding the 100 trillion bacteria that call your digestive sy...
What foods and drinks can trigger digestive problems?
Ms. Ashley Koff, RDMs. Ashley Koff, RD
Respect what your gut has to say. Even the most finely tuned machine has its quirks -- if certain fo...
When Bloating May Be Something Serious
When Bloating May Be Something SeriousWhen Bloating May Be Something SeriousWhen Bloating May Be Something SeriousWhen Bloating May Be Something Serious
Seven serious conditions that cause bloating.
The Red Flags Behind Digestive Trouble
The Red Flags Behind Digestive Trouble