How can I maintain a healthy digestive system?

A healthy digestive system starts with a healthy diet, but there are supplements that can also assist your digestive system. Larch arabinogalactan supplements contain prebiotic fiber that promotes digestive health. Larch arabinogalactan is also clinically proven to naturally activate your immune system.

Ms. Ashley Koff, RD
A healthy digestive system begins with proper nutrition and may include supplementation (as needed) to heal what has become imbalanced. Typically this looks at giving the body nutrients in its organic whole food form, limiting known gastric irritants, improving gut bacteria balance (probiotics and probiotic-rich foods like coconut water, kefir and cultured vegetables), improving motility (naturally and not as a laxative) with magnesium, and L-glutamine and fish oil to reduce inflammation and improve gut lining as "leaky gut" is often a symptom. I also look at vitamin D3 status.
Robynne K. Chutkan, MD
Gastroenterology
The gastrointestinal tract, including the stomach, is one long muscle and like any other muscle, inactivity makes it weak and flabby. The other really interesting thing about our gastrointestinal tract is that it has a bedtime. Our intestines are most active first thing in the morning and least active at night. So what do so many of us do? Starve ourselves until dinnertime and then dump 1000 calories into a sleepy gastrointestinal tract and lie down an hour later just in case gravity thought it would lend a hand. Our bodies are programmed to need a certain minimum number of calories to survive. If you don't get them in the morning and early afternoon when you need them the most you'll end up consuming them at night -- when you really don't need them and they're likely to sit in your stomach for hours.

So, eat small frequent meals, beginning with a robust breakfast and ending with a strict 7 p.m. dinner curfew.

Continue Learning about Digestive Health

Tips to Take Better Care of Your Gut
Tips to Take Better Care of Your Gut
One hundred trillion. Nope, it’s not the national debt. That mega-number is the population of microbes living it up in your digestive system...
Can my gallbladder cause pain even if I don't have gallstones?
Henrico Doctors' Hospital  - HCA VirginiaHenrico Doctors' Hospital - HCA Virginia
Occasionally, people may have symptoms similar to biliary colic—pain 30 to 60 minutes after eating t...
7 Times Your Diarrhea Is Something to Worry About
7 Times Your Diarrhea Is Something to Worry About7 Times Your Diarrhea Is Something to Worry About7 Times Your Diarrhea Is Something to Worry About7 Times Your Diarrhea Is Something to Worry About
Annoying and embarrassing? Yep. Cause for concern? It depends. Find out when your diarrhea needs medical attention.
The Red Flags Behind Digestive Trouble
The Red Flags Behind Digestive Trouble