How long is the recovery process after gallbladder surgery?

The recovery process after gallbladder surgery is between a week to two weeks depending on your day-to-day activities.

It typically takes patients one week to recover from gallbladder removal surgery.

The recovery time from gallbladder surgery depends on a few things, including the type of surgery and the degree to which the gallbladder is diseased. More severely infected or diseased gallbladders can delay healing time. Also, open procedures typically take more time to recover from than laparoscopic procedures. In general, a patient can expect to be in the hospital one to three days depending on the factors listed above. Your surgeon will the likely place you on a heavy lifting restriction for four to six weeks after the surgery while your abdomen heals.

Continue Learning about Digestive Health

A Tailored Diet Can Ease IBS Symptoms
A Tailored Diet Can Ease IBS Symptoms
Many celebrities suffer from irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) and have shared their struggle with this often painful and embarrassing condition. They in...
How can I maintain a healthy digestive system?
Robynne K. Chutkan, MDRobynne K. Chutkan, MD
The gastrointestinal tract, including the stomach, is one long muscle and like any other muscle, ina...
4 Ways Your Gut Affects Your Health
4 Ways Your Gut Affects Your Health4 Ways Your Gut Affects Your Health4 Ways Your Gut Affects Your Health4 Ways Your Gut Affects Your Health
Your gut is responsible for more than digestion; it can reveal illness, too.
How Can Herbs Help Improve My Digestion?