How does liver transplantation treat biliary atresia?

Liver transplantation treats biliary atresia by providing a new liver for the affected person. The malfunctioning liver is removed and a healthy liver, or part of a liver from a live donor, is put in its place. Liver transplantation has improved dramatically in the last years, allowing pieces of an adult liver to be transplanted into a child's body. Following the transplant, the child's health must be monitored closely to make sure the liver is working properly and the child's body is accepting the new organ. Drugs called immunosuppressants are given to prevent the rejection of the "foreign" organ that has been implanted. These drugs may cause their own problems over time--complications can include diabetes and kidney damage--but children with liver transplants are now living well into adulthood.

Continue Learning about Digestive Health

5 Things That Happen to Your Body When You Stop Eating Meat
By now, you’ve probably heard the hype (and the truth) surrounding the health benefits of eating less meat. It’s true that vegans, those who don’t eat...
What are some effects of bacteria imbalance?
Robynne K. Chutkan, MDRobynne K. Chutkan, MD
A bacterial imbalance in the body, or dysbiosis, can potentially cause a variety of diseases and unp...
5 Foods for Healthy Digestion
5 Foods for Healthy Digestion5 Foods for Healthy Digestion5 Foods for Healthy Digestion5 Foods for Healthy Digestion
Reach for these when your tummy rumbles.
How Can I Detoxify My Digestive Tract Naturally?