How is my health assessed while I am on a liver transplant waiting list?

To determine how ill a person on the liver transplant waiting list is, we look at bilirubin (yellow colored pigment that the liver produces when it recycles blood cells), prothrombin time (international normalized ratio [INR] -- how long it takes the blood to clot) and creatinine (a chemical excreted by the kidneys) and calculate a score. The score can be between 6 and 40. The higher the number, the greater the risk of dying is without a liver transplant.

Continue Learning about Digestive Health

People Are Drinking Charcoal: Here’s What You Need to Know
Wellness brands and social media influencers alike have embraced activated charcoal as the hottest new health craze. Labels boast that activated charc...
How are colon polyps removed?
NorthShore University HealthSystemNorthShore University HealthSystem
There are a lot of good techniques for removing polyps from the colon including injecting saline jus...
Embarrassing Stomach Issues, Solved
Embarrassing Stomach Issues, SolvedEmbarrassing Stomach Issues, SolvedEmbarrassing Stomach Issues, SolvedEmbarrassing Stomach Issues, Solved
Find out if your gas, grunts and growls are normal and what to do about them.
What Should I Look for in a High-Quality Probiotic?