How should I get my colon checked?

There are different ways to get the colon checked depending on the nature of the concerns. If you are worried about an infection of the colon, a stool sample may be necessary to identify if there is an infection and what type. A blockage of the colon may need imaging studies such as abdominal x-rays and CT scans. Inflammatory bowel disease such as Crohn's and ulcerative colitis may require blood work as well as a colonoscopy (a flexible fiber-optic camera that looks at the lining of the colon and can biopsy the colon tissue if needed). Screening for colon cancer can include a stool study (FIT test) and/or a colonoscopy.

Continue Learning about Digestive Health

Poop Red Flags You Need to Know About
Poop Red Flags You Need to Know AboutPoop Red Flags You Need to Know AboutPoop Red Flags You Need to Know AboutPoop Red Flags You Need to Know About
Here’s when to worry if something’s not coming out right.  Everyone hopes for predictable poops. But if you happen to find a surprise in the toilet, h...
What Are the Benefits of Taking a Digestive Enzyme Supplement?
How Do I Know If I Have a Digestive Enzyme Deficiency?
Is It Better to Take a Probiotic Pill or Live Culture Yogurt?