How will fiber help me prevent diverticulosis?

Many adults suffer from diverticulosis, a serious condition that can cause bloating, constipation, gas -- and much worse. In this video, Dr. Oz discusses the critical food that can prevent this problem.

Marjorie Nolan Cohn

Diverticulitis is a common age-related disorder that is characterized by inflammation of the large intestine, causing symptoms of nausea, diarrhea, constipation and abdominal pain. The Harvard School of Public Health says that a large study demonstrated that increased dietary fiber intake was associated with a 40 percent risk reduction of diverticular disease in aging men. The Institute of Medicine concludes that several other studies suggest increased dietary fiber intake protects against diverticulitis and also ulcers in the small intestine.

Dietary fiber can’t be digested and so it combines with water in your intestines to create large, soft stools that pass easily through your bowels. A high-fiber diet can lessen or prevent the abdominal pain, cramping or tenderness that sometimes occurs when you have to strain to pass hard, constipated stools. Eating a high-fiber diet is helps prevent development of pouches (diverticula) in the colon. The bulky, soft stools that happen with a high-fiber diet move easily through your intestines because of a wave-like motion known as peristalsis. Since you don't need to bear down forcefully to expel these stools, the pressure inside the diverticula stays low. This normal bowel function reduces the chance of inflammation or secondary infection in the diverticula, and helps you avoid painful bouts of diverticulitis.

Continue Learning about Digestive Health

Another Reason to Track Those Triglycerides
In the children’s book Matilda, when Bruce Bogtrotter, a student at Crunchem Hall Primary School, stole a chocolate cake from the mean headmistress, M...
What is the appendix?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
The appendix is a small, finger-like pouch that sticks out from the cecum (the first part of the lar...
5 Foods for Healthy Digestion
5 Foods for Healthy Digestion5 Foods for Healthy Digestion5 Foods for Healthy Digestion5 Foods for Healthy Digestion
Reach for these when your tummy rumbles.
What Are Ways to Include Yogurt in My Diet?