How does exercise contribute to a healthy GI system?

Moderate exercise improves the health of the gastrointestinal (GI) system. Exercise strengthens the abdominal muscles and stimulates intestinal muscles to facilitate elimination from the bowels. Moderate exercise may benefit individuals with inflammatory bowel disease or liver disease. Intensive exercise, however, may interfere with nutritional absorption and waste elimination.

Continue Learning about Digestive Health

Six Foods Your Gut Bugs Love—and Four They Hate
Next time you open the fridge, remember that you’re not just eating for one. You’re also feeding the 100 trillion bacteria that call your digestive sy...
How does excess acidity cause digestion problems?
Mosaraf Ali, MDMosaraf Ali, MD
The digestive system is a fine balance of acid or alkaline media: the saliva in the mouth is alkal...
4 Ways Your Gut Affects Your Health
4 Ways Your Gut Affects Your Health4 Ways Your Gut Affects Your Health4 Ways Your Gut Affects Your Health4 Ways Your Gut Affects Your Health
Your gut is responsible for more than digestion; it can reveal illness, too.
What Are Some Factors That Can Deplete My Digestive Enzyme Levels?