How are esophageal ulcers diagnosed?

Doctors can diagnose esophageal ulcers using a variety of tests. First, doctors generally ask about medical history, including any medications you may be on. Next, an upper endoscopy might be done, using an endoscope to view inside the esophagus. Cells from the lining of the esophagus may be sampled for lab testing. A barium swallow may be recommended; this test involves consuming a liquid with barium, which helps show up the esophagus on X-rays. Other tests may be for the existence of H. pylori in the body using blood tests, breath tests, and tests involving the stool. Finally, a blood test may check for infections (like cytomegalovirus) or other conditions that can lead to or exacerbate problems in the esophagus.

Continue Learning about Digestive Health

A Tailored Diet Can Ease IBS Symptoms
A Tailored Diet Can Ease IBS Symptoms
Many celebrities suffer from irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) and have shared their struggle with this often painful and embarrassing condition. They in...
Can my gallbladder cause pain even if I don't have gallstones?
Henrico Doctors' Hospital  - HCA VirginiaHenrico Doctors' Hospital - HCA Virginia
Occasionally, people may have symptoms similar to biliary colic—pain 30 to 60 minutes after eating t...
5 Foods for Healthy Digestion
5 Foods for Healthy Digestion5 Foods for Healthy Digestion5 Foods for Healthy Digestion5 Foods for Healthy Digestion
Reach for these when your tummy rumbles.
What Is the Role of the Gut in the Immune System?