How are liver donors evaluated after brain death?

After a potential liver donor is identified following brain death, the donor undergoes a very careful medical evaluation and review of behavioral risk factors by a medical professional forum, the organ procurement organization (OPO).

Due to the time constraints of organ viability, donors cannot be tested for every random and rare illness. Potential donors are tested for a variety of illnesses including human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), Hepatitis B/C, human T-cell lymphotropic viruses ([HTLV] lymphoma virus), and West Nile to name a few. For liver transplantation, there is always a liver biopsy performed to determine the amount of fat present in the liver, unknown liver disease or scarring.

Throughout this testing period, the brain death donor continues to require careful monitoring of acid base, glucose, coagulation abnormalities, anemia, body temperature, blood pressure, and ventilation in order to maintain donor eligibility. In addition to medical testing, a history about behavioral risk factors is obtained to help determine the donor's infectious disease risk. Information about drug use, tattoos, unprotected sex, alcohol/tobacco use, prostitution, and incarceration histories are obtained from family members. Only after extensive medical testing and evaluation are completed will an organ be offered to a potential recipient.

Continue Learning about Digestive Health

Banish the Bloat
Banish the Bloat
You know it: The tight, full, uncomfortable feeling in your abdomen that begs you to loosen your belt a couple of notches or change into a comfy pair ...
Will smoking exclude me from a liver transplant?
Methodist Specialty and Transplant HospitalMethodist Specialty and Transplant Hospital
Smoking won’t exclude patients from receiving a liver transplant, but it does increase a patient’s r...
Embarrassing Stomach Issues, Solved
Embarrassing Stomach Issues, SolvedEmbarrassing Stomach Issues, SolvedEmbarrassing Stomach Issues, SolvedEmbarrassing Stomach Issues, Solved
Find out if your gas, grunts and growls are normal and what to do about them.
How Does What I Eat Affect the Good Bacteria in My Gut?