How is delirium treated after a liver transplant?

Immediately after a liver transplant surgery some patients may become confused, agitated, and paranoid, with hallucinations and difficulty speaking. This is called delirium or acute brain dysfunction.

Treatment of delirium after a liver transplant includes keeping you safe. A nursing aide may sit with you until you think clearly; soft wrist restraints may be used to prevent pulling intravenous catheters and drains. Medications such as Seroquel, Zyprexa, and Haldol are frequently used to calm your brain and restore clear thinking.

Continue Learning about Digestive Health

The Best Foods for Good Gut Bacteria
The Best Foods for Good Gut Bacteria
Your digestive tract contains a metropolis of bacteria that helps digest and absorb nutrients from the food you eat. Recent research finds, however, t...
What are the main functions of the liver?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
The main functions of the liver include the following: Make proteins. The liver is made up of mil...
5 Foods for Healthy Digestion
5 Foods for Healthy Digestion5 Foods for Healthy Digestion5 Foods for Healthy Digestion5 Foods for Healthy Digestion
Reach for these when your tummy rumbles.
What Are Ways to Include Yogurt in My Diet?