How do I choose a medicine to treat nausea?

Patricia Raymond, MD
Gastroenterology
Here are some of the common anti-emetic drugs you may encounter:

- Phenergan (Promethazine). Used for motion sickness, post-op nausea, antihistamine effect for allergies; do not use for anyone younger than 2 years old, pregnant (category C), or who has seizures (use with caution, may reduce seizure threshold); side effects may include drowsiness, changes in blood pressure (high and low), and various mild effects. I use it because it's available as a suppository and is great if you’re vomiting a lot and can’t keep oral meds down.

- Zofran (Ondansetron). Used for vomiting from chemo or radiation and post-op nausea; side effects include headache, malaise, constipation, and diarrhea. I use it because it's okay to use in pregnancy (category B) and is super in chemo-induced nausea.

- Compazine (Prochlorperazine). Used for post-op nausea, anxiety, and schizophrenia; do not use for anyone younger than 2 years old and the pregnancy category is unknown; side effects include drowsiness, hypotension, and dystonias (extreme muscle spasms). I use it because it has a rectal form and the anti-anxiety effect may be useful.

- Antivert, Transderm Scop (Meclizine). Used for motion sickness and vertigo; do not use while driving, operating heavy machinery, or drinking or in anyone younger than 12 years old or who has glaucoma; side effects include drowsiness, dry mouth, blurred vision, and difficult urination. I use it because it's okay in pregnancy (category B or Antivert, C for Transderm) and a skin patch with three-day release is available for motion sickness.

Continue Learning about Digestive Health