How should I care for my child once they stop vomiting?

Once the vomiting seems to have stopped, try giving very small amounts of clear fluids frequently.

*Start with 1 teaspoon every 10 minutes; if that stays down for an hour or so you can slowly increase. Your pediatrician may recommend that you start with a clear electrolyte solution (such as Pedialyte, Enfalyte, or LiquiLyte).

*After several hours without further vomiting, your pediatrician may advise that you return to small amounts of milk (breast milk, formula, or regular milk) or whatever your child likes to drink for a few feeds before increasing slowly to the usual amounts.

*Many parents make the mistake of letting their thirsty child drink a few ounces at once, but with an uneasy stomach it will all come back up. It’s best to avoid solids and stick with liquids for several hours after the vomiting has subsided.

*When you do introduce solids, go very slowly. Start small and simple, such as giving one spoonful of rice cereal or one cracker, and then wait about 30 minutes to see what happens.

Mommy Calls: Dr. Tanya Answers Parents' Top 101 Questions About Babies and Toddlers

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------The must-have resource for parents of children up to age three! Small enough to fit in a diaper bag, but big on...

Continue Learning about Digestive Health

What Your Poo Says About You
What Your Poo Says About You
Bowel movements are not exactly dinner party conversation. You may even be too embarrassed to talk about them with your doctor. That’s a mistake, thou...
If I have EPI, what high-calorie foods are good for me to eat?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
If you have exocrine pancreatic insufficiency (EPI) there are lots of reasonably healthy, high-calor...
When Bloating May Be Something Serious
When Bloating May Be Something SeriousWhen Bloating May Be Something SeriousWhen Bloating May Be Something SeriousWhen Bloating May Be Something Serious
Seven serious conditions that cause bloating.
What Are the Most Common Symptoms of Low Digestive Enzyme Levels?