How can I get rid of hiccups?

Stimulating the throat area with difficult to eat foods, such as a teaspoon of sugar or peanut butter, or sucking on ice cubes can help stop hiccups. Interrupting normal breathing by holding your breath, or breathing into a paper bag, may also be effective. On rare occasions, medications may be necessary if an episode of hiccups lasts longer than the typical few minutes, up to less than three hours.
Everyone has a different family cure for the hiccups, but they all work to soothe the diaphragm muscle. Learn more about this topic in this video by Dr. Oz.

The longest recorded hiccup siege was 40 years; the guy had spasms 20 to 40 times a minute. These days, docs knock out most persistent cases with medications, anesthesia, and ventilation -- even acupuncture.

There's no proven cure, but to try to get rid of hiccups, we suggest you try relaxing or boo! (Suddenly screaming at the victim is my favorite.) Did that do it? If not, here are some weird home remedies for hiccups that someone somewhere swears will work:
  • Stand on a chair in a crowded restaurant and shout, "I have hiccups!"
  • Pull on your tongue or ears.
  • Put your head on the ground and blow on your thumb.
  • Put your face in ice water.
  • Scream for as long as you can.
Life has its hiccups, but trying one of these remedies may make it all seem funnier. Besides, people who laugh regularly have a healthier heart, less stress, and a better outlook on life.

Continue Learning about Digestive Health