How long will it take my body to adjust after a liver transplant?

The first three months following liver transplantation are the most difficult. The body is adjusting to the "new" liver and all the medications needed to maintain its health. By the time of discharge from the hospital patients are able to care for themselves, with some minor restrictions. The transplant team carefully prepares each patient for discharge. Most patients can return to work within 3 to 6 months after a transplant. Playing sports and getting healthy exercise, socializing, and traveling for business and pleasure are all possible.

Continue Learning about Digestive Health

Diverticular Disease Basics: What You Need to Know
Your stomach pain just wasn’t going away on its own. You finally went to your doctor and were diagnosed with diverticular disease. What is this condit...
What are some of the most commonly treated digestive problems?
StoneSprings Hospital CenterStoneSprings Hospital Center
GERD, IBS, Chron's disorder, colitis, and swallowing disorders are the most common gastro ailments g...
4 Ways Your Gut Affects Your Health
4 Ways Your Gut Affects Your Health4 Ways Your Gut Affects Your Health4 Ways Your Gut Affects Your Health4 Ways Your Gut Affects Your Health
Your gut is responsible for more than digestion; it can reveal illness, too.
How Does What I Eat Affect the Good Bacteria in My Gut?