How long will it take my body to adjust after a liver transplant?

The first three months following liver transplantation are the most difficult. The body is adjusting to the "new" liver and all the medications needed to maintain its health. By the time of discharge from the hospital patients are able to care for themselves, with some minor restrictions. The transplant team carefully prepares each patient for discharge. Most patients can return to work within 3 to 6 months after a transplant. Playing sports and getting healthy exercise, socializing, and traveling for business and pleasure are all possible.

Continue Learning about Digestive Health