How does the bacteria in my gut affect my health?

Alejandro Junger, MD
The good bacteria in your gut serve some important functions: pre-digesting food, detoxifying the body and regulating the immune system. In this video, cardiologist Alejandro Junger, MD, explains why it's important to have healthy intestinal flora.
Ms. Ashley Koff, RD
The specific microbial mix (your gut contains thousands of species of bacteria) you wind up with has a big impact on your health. Besides making you more resistant to disease, the balance (or lack thereof) of microbes in your gut may lower your risk of obesity or influence your risk of autoimmune disorders such as rheumatoid arthritis, multiple sclerosis, psoriasis, and inflammatory bowel disease.
Mom Energy: A Simple Plan to Live Fully Charged

From celebrated dietitian Ashley Koff and fitness trainer to the stars Kathy Kaehler comes Mom Energy, an exciting new way for moms to tap into their own natural and renewable sources of...

Continue Learning about Digestive Health

Worst Case Scenario: I Swallowed Gum
Worst Case Scenario: I Swallowed Gum
You may have heard that swallowed gum stays in your stomach for seven years. But is it true? Gum sales are about $25 billion globally, so some of thos...
How can I prevent belching?
Lawrence S. Friedman, MDLawrence S. Friedman, MD
The key in preventing belching problems is to reduce the amount of air you swallow. Quitting chewing...
Embarrassing Stomach Issues, Solved
Embarrassing Stomach Issues, SolvedEmbarrassing Stomach Issues, SolvedEmbarrassing Stomach Issues, SolvedEmbarrassing Stomach Issues, Solved
Find out if your gas, grunts and growls are normal and what to do about them.
How Doctors Reach a Diagnosis
How Doctors Reach a Diagnosis