How are anal fissures treated?

About 50 percent of anal fissures heal, either by themselves or with the use of a medicated cream or ointment. Stool softeners and sitz baths (soaking the anal area in plain warm water for 15 to 20 minutes) may also be helpful.

A persistent anal fissure should be re-examined to see whether a definite reason exists for lack of healing. Such reasons may include scarring or muscle spasm of the internal anal muscle. Those fissures that continue to cause pain or bleeding can be corrected by surgery.

Continue Learning about Digestive Health

Gas: What’s Normal and What Isn’t?
Gas: What’s Normal and What Isn’t?
Everyone burps and passes gas. Some do these things more often than others. It can be loud and sometimes smelly, but gas is a normal part of the diges...
Dr. Oz Asks: Is Your Poop Normal or Not?
Is there such a thing as perfect poop? You bet. Your stool can speak volumes about your health. If you’re not in the habit of sneaking a peek before ...
What Are Some Factors That Can Deplete My Digestive Enzyme Levels?
What Are Some Effects of Bacteria Imbalance?