Q

Digestive Health

What should I eat after intestinal surgery?

• A Colorectal Surgery, answered on behalf of
    What can I eat after intestinal surgery?
    After intestinal surgery, W. Cannon Lewis, MD of Methodist Stone Oak Hospital recommends eating a low-fiber diet for a few weeks. Watch this video to learn more about post-surgery dietary restrictions and recommendations.    
  • A Ophthalmology, answered on behalf of

Immediately after an operation on the intestines, most patients don't have a regular appetite for a few weeks. It is normal to feel full after smaller meals and not be as hungry as usual. The appetite will return after a few weeks. In the meantime, the most important thing is to stay well hydrated by taking in enough fluids. Eating a bland diet is helpful but not required.

For patients who have difficulty with bloating or bowel obstructions, limiting the amount of ruffage and undigestable fiber is helpful after bowel surgery. This means limiting certain foods like raw salads, uncooked vegetables, and things like that. Overall, a healthy, balanced diet is best after most gastrointestinal operations.

1 person found this helpful.
This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.
What causes orange stool?