Does gum take seven years to digest?

Most people empty their stomach within a half hour to two hours after eating, including gum. Gum base is insoluble, meaning our bodies don't possess digestive enzymes to break it down, just like the fiber base of raw vegetables, corn, and popcorn kernels. And Mom was wrong: It can't stick to your stomach wall. Gum travels the same path as food and is excreted in your poop. Not convinced? Just look for it in the toilet!

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Digestive Health

Don't Poop Your Pants!
Don't Poop Your Pants!
When a Swedish manufacturer of adult diapers sent every countryman 55 and older a sample pair, the company received thousands of angry calls. And that...
What is dysphagia?
Dr. Gary W. Falk, MDDr. Gary W. Falk, MD
Dysphagia is a sensation of difficulty in swallowing. This is never a normal sensation and is typica...
4 Ways Your Gut Affects Your Health
4 Ways Your Gut Affects Your Health4 Ways Your Gut Affects Your Health4 Ways Your Gut Affects Your Health4 Ways Your Gut Affects Your Health
Your gut is responsible for more than digestion; it can reveal illness, too.
How Does What I Eat Affect the Good Bacteria in My Gut?