When do doctors check a baby's gastrointestinal system?

As early as in utero, docs check to make sure all the components of the gastrointestinal (GI) system, from the mouth to the anus, are connected. If the esophagus is not connected to the stomach, for instance, the child will vomit. While this problem is fairly uncommon, an ultrasound in utero can catch it; since the tube is blocked, these babies have extra amniotic fluid because they haven't been able to swallow it, and there will be no evidence of what's called a gastric bubble, because air can't pass through the esophagus to the stomach. If undiagnosed, the child will have trouble feeding (choking, sputtering, and so on). If the large intestine is not connected to the anus, the child cannot defecate, which is why Baby has to poop before going home from the hospital. In either case, surgery can connect the tubes properly.
YOU: Raising Your Child: The Owner's Manual from First Breath to First Grade

There’s little doubt that parenting can be one of the most rewarding and satisfying experiences you’ll ever have. But it can be plenty tough, too: Around the clock, you’re working to keep your...

Continue Learning about Digestive Health

Eat This Leafy Green for Your Colon
Eat This Leafy Green for Your Colon
Keep your colon polyp-free by using this leafy green in your fresh summer salads: spinach. This dark leafy green is loaded with magnesium—and a Japan...
How does formula get into a feeding tube for enteral nutrition?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
There are different ways of getting formula into a feeding tube for enteral nutrition. A syringe, a ...
5 Foods for Healthy Digestion
5 Foods for Healthy Digestion5 Foods for Healthy Digestion5 Foods for Healthy Digestion5 Foods for Healthy Digestion
Reach for these when your tummy rumbles.
How Does the Bacteria in My Gut Affect My Health?