Do I need my gallbladder?

You can live without your gallbladder because your body can digest food without it. Your gallbladder stores bile, which helps the body digest fat. Once your gallbladder is removed, bile flows directly from your liver, where it's produced, to the small intestine. A small percentage of people who have had gallbladders removed experience loose stools or diarrhea.

You can live without your gallbladder. If you are having problems caused by your gallbladder, you will feel better after having it removed. A small percentage of people experience nausea and diarrhea after gallbladder removal, but this generally improves over time.

Continue Learning about Digestive Health

5 Ways to Beat Belly Bloat
5 Ways to Beat Belly Bloat
We all want to enjoy the holiday festivities, from the parties at work to family dinners to toasting in the New Year as the ball drops. But after a ce...
What are anti-rejection medications for a liver transplant?
Dr. Benjamin Samstein, MDDr. Benjamin Samstein, MD
The most common medications used to prevent rejection include medications such as Neoral, Prograf or...
5 Foods for Healthy Digestion
5 Foods for Healthy Digestion5 Foods for Healthy Digestion5 Foods for Healthy Digestion5 Foods for Healthy Digestion
Reach for these when your tummy rumbles.
How Doctors Reach a Diagnosis
How Doctors Reach a Diagnosis