Is there a cure for duodenal ulcers?

Some duodenal ulcers can be cured if they respond well to treatment. Duodenal   ulcers are usually cured through a combination of medicine and lifestyle changes that fight ulcer-causing bacteria and limit stomach acids. However, there are some ulcers that do not heal that way, particularly when   individuals don't take their medication, or use tobacco and alcohol regularly. In some cases, ulcers that cannot be cured are caused by diseases, like stomach cancer, or noncancerous tumors in the stomach or intestine. In other cases, ulcers may recur after they have been treated. These may be treated with a different type of antibiotic than that used to treat the first ulcer.

Continue Learning about Digestive Health

Hidden Dangers of Laxatives
Hidden Dangers of Laxatives
The FDA is warning saline laxatives containing sodium phosphate can kill you if you don’t follow label directions exactly. In fact, at least 13 people...
How often should I have a bowel movement?
Dr. Lawrence S. Friedman, MDDr. Lawrence S. Friedman, MD
It's not a medical concept, but a myth that you've got to move your bowels each day to be healthy. I...
Embarrassing Stomach Issues, Solved
Embarrassing Stomach Issues, SolvedEmbarrassing Stomach Issues, SolvedEmbarrassing Stomach Issues, SolvedEmbarrassing Stomach Issues, Solved
Find out if your gas, grunts and growls are normal and what to do about them.
The Red Flags Behind Digestive Trouble
The Red Flags Behind Digestive Trouble