Should I talk to my doctor about my peptic ulcer symptoms?

Definitely talk to your doctor about your peptic ulcer symptoms. If you have a peptic ulcer, the cure can be simple, but it probably requires prescription medications. Another reason to talk to your doctor is that untreated ulcers can lead to serious complications. An ulcer may start to bleed, causing anemia or low blood pressure. If the ulcer is severe enough to create a hole in your stomach wall or small intestine, an infection can occur and should be treated immediately. Some untreated ulcers cause scarring or swelling and block the opening into the small intestine. This makes it impossible for food to pass through and be digested.

Continue Learning about Digestive Health

Six Foods Your Gut Bugs Love—and Four They Hate
Next time you open the fridge, remember that you’re not just eating for one. You’re also feeding the 100 trillion bacteria that call your digestive sy...
What is put into the feeding tubes used in enteral nutrition?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
For enteral nutrition, the food put into the feeding tube comes as a liquid called formula. This for...
Embarrassing Stomach Issues, Solved
Embarrassing Stomach Issues, SolvedEmbarrassing Stomach Issues, SolvedEmbarrassing Stomach Issues, SolvedEmbarrassing Stomach Issues, Solved
Find out if your gas, grunts and growls are normal and what to do about them.
How Is Constipation Treated in Children?