How can I help my child maintain a healthy gastrointestinal system?

Teaching your child about a healthy diet and good hygiene habits will help your child maintain a healthy gastrointestinal (GI) system. Preparing meals that are high in fiber and low in fat will help your child's digestive system work more efficiently. Also reducing the amount of processed foods your child consumes, and emphasizing consumption of fruits and vegetables will help them develop the habit of eating foods that support good GI health. Other important eating habits include eating slowly and moderately and drinking water.

Good hygiene can prevent GI infections from spreading and adversely impacting a healthy GI system. Teach your child to wash hands frequently and thoroughly, particularly before a meal, after using the bathroom, or after touching a pet.

Continue Learning about Digestive Health

Digestive Health

Digestive Health

The digestive system includes all parts of the body that process food and expel waste, from your mouth to the end of your digestive tract. Diseases of the gastrointestinal tract prevent your body from effectively using the food yo...

u eat. Learn more about digestive health from our experts.