How can I help my child maintain a healthy gastrointestinal system?

Teaching your child about a healthy diet and good hygiene habits will help your child maintain a healthy gastrointestinal (GI) system. Preparing meals that are high in fiber and low in fat will help your child's digestive system work more efficiently. Also reducing the amount of processed foods your child consumes, and emphasizing consumption of fruits and vegetables will help them develop the habit of eating foods that support good GI health. Other important eating habits include eating slowly and moderately and drinking water.

Good hygiene can prevent GI infections from spreading and adversely impacting a healthy GI system. Teach your child to wash hands frequently and thoroughly, particularly before a meal, after using the bathroom, or after touching a pet.

Continue Learning about Digestive Health

Stomach Bug or Food Poisoning? Here's How to Tell
Plagued with nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain and diarrhea? There could be several conditions causing your discomfort, such as a bug you caught from y...
When is endoscopic resection appropriate for colon polyps?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
To determine if endoscopic resection is appropriate for colon polyps, a qualified endoscopist would ...
5 Foods for Healthy Digestion
5 Foods for Healthy Digestion5 Foods for Healthy Digestion5 Foods for Healthy Digestion5 Foods for Healthy Digestion
Reach for these when your tummy rumbles.
Is It Better to Take a Probiotic Pill or Live Culture Yogurt?