What do I need to know about caring for someone with a duodenal ulcer?

If you are caring for someone with a duodenal ulcer, you need to know that the pain they are experiencing is almost always a result of stomach acid. When stomach acid comes into contact with the ulcer or sore, pain can be severe. However, it's also important to note that the pain of duodenal ulcers follows a pattern. Become aware of the pain pattern and try to stop it for the person by becoming aware of treatment options.

Furthermore, know that complications can occur in someone with a duodenal ulcer. These include internal bleeding, penetration, perforation, and obstruction. If the person you are caring for has especially severe pain, blood in the vomit or stool, weight loss, or an appetite change, you should call their doctor.

Continue Learning about Digestive Health

Diverticular Disease Basics: What You Need to Know
Your stomach pain just wasn’t going away on its own. You finally went to your doctor and were diagnosed with diverticular disease. What is this condit...
What happens during a gallbladder attack?
Henrico Doctors' Hospital  - HCA VirginiaHenrico Doctors' Hospital - HCA Virginia
During a gallbladder attack, a gallstone blocks the outlet of the gallbladder as it squeezes, and yo...
5 Foods for Healthy Digestion
5 Foods for Healthy Digestion5 Foods for Healthy Digestion5 Foods for Healthy Digestion5 Foods for Healthy Digestion
Reach for these when your tummy rumbles.
How Can I Detoxify My Digestive Tract Naturally?