Can colorectal cancer be prevented if I have a colon polyp?

Colorectal cancer can be prevented if you have a colon polyp. If your doctor finds a large polyp and discusses surgery with you, take the initiative and ask if there are other options. Is there the possibility for an endoscopic resection. More than 95 percent of polyps don't need surgery.

Endoscopic resection can effectively eradicate the vast majority of precancerous lesions of the colon and thereby prevent colon cancer. This is one of the most common things that is done in interventional endoscopy.

The first thing you can do to help prevent colorectal cancer is talk to your doctor about colorectal cancer screening. It's very important. It saves lives. Colon cancer can be prevented.

Continue Learning about Digestive Health

All About YOU: A Gut Feeling
All About YOU: A Gut Feeling
What's in fruit, veggies, and whole grains that keeps your GI system on track? Fiber, for one thing. But here's another: prebiotics. Certain produce ...
Do I need to go to the hospital for gallbladder surgery?
Henrico Doctors' Hospital  - HCA VirginiaHenrico Doctors' Hospital - HCA Virginia
Most gallbladder surgery does not require a hospital stay, as it is done laparoscopically, using fou...
When Bloating May Be Something Serious
When Bloating May Be Something SeriousWhen Bloating May Be Something SeriousWhen Bloating May Be Something SeriousWhen Bloating May Be Something Serious
Seven serious conditions that cause bloating.
Which Gut Type Are You?
Which Gut Type Are You?