Who is most affected by an obstetric fistula?

Obstetric fistula is a serious disorder for adults, especially, when left untreated. The illness most often affects women living in poverty and underdeveloped countries, since the medical care to treat obstetric fistulas is either not available or very expensive. Asia and Africa have high incidences of obstetric fistulas. Women who are malnourished can also be affected by obstetric fistulas since malnourishment can weaken the pelvis and cause problems during labor.

Continue Learning about Digestive Diseases

Constipated? Always Going? Signs Your Digestion Isn't Normal
Everyone's digestion is a bit different, but there are some universal indicators of a healthy system—and an unhealthy one. First, let’s review the ba...
How do I manage my obstetric fistula on a daily basis?
The first thing that you should do to manage obstetric fistula is to see your doctor immediately if ...
Do digestive diseases run in families?
Some digestive diseases, such as Crohn's disease and celiac disease, do tend to run in families. Amo...
What Are the Symptoms of an Unhealthy Gastrointestinal System?