What are the treatment options for an obstetric fistula?

Treatment options for obstetric fistula include antibiotic medication to clear up infection in your body, if present. A fistula may, but usually does not, close up on its own. Surgery is also a treatment option to correct the abnormal joining of your vagina, rectum, and large intestine. You may have to wait until the tissue is healthy to have the surgery. During the surgery, a gynecologist or a colorectal surgeon will most likely remove the section of tissue with the fistula in it. Then the doctor will sew the healthy tissue together.

Continue Learning about Digestive Diseases

Good News About Difficult Colon Polyps
Good News About Difficult Colon Polyps
Every year tens of thousands of people face serious colon surgery to remove big polyps before they can morph into colon cancer. Many have part of thei...
Can gastrointestinal tract birth defects be prevented?
Because the causes of gastrointestinal tract birth defects are not entirely understood, it is not po...
What can I do to minimize odor if I have an obstetric fistula?
If you have obstetric fistula, you should not wear tight-fitting clothing, as it can make your condi...
What Are the Treatment Options for Digestive Diseases?