What are the symptoms of functional dyspepsia?

Lawrence S. Friedman, MD
Gastroenterology
The Rome III criteria (diagnostic criteria for all functional gastrointestinal (GI) disorders) state that functional dyspepsia (FD) -- persistent upper abdominal pain or discomfort for which there is no identifiable cause -- must include one or more of the following for the past three months, with symptoms beginning at least six months before diagnosis:
  • bothersome feeling of fullness after eating
  • early feeling of fullness
  • pain in the upper abdomen
  • burning in the upper abdomen, and no evidence of structural disease (including at upper endoscopy) that is likely to explain the symptoms.

Continue Learning about Digestive Diseases

Do I Have Celiac Disease, Gluten Sensitivity, or a Wheat Allergy?
Odds are, someone you know has gone gluten-free. Perhaps they’re trying to drop some pounds, or they simply believe it’s healthier for them. Or, maybe...
Does getting an obstetric fistula run in families?
Just because your mother had an obstetric fistula does not increase your risk for getting one. Y...
How long does it take to diagnose gastroparesis?
HCA VirginiaHCA Virginia
It’s a really under-diagnosed disease process. For one, the symptoms of gastroparesis can be confuse...
What Are the Treatment Options for Digestive Diseases?