What are symptoms of aerophagia?

Lawrence S. Friedman, MD
Gastroenterology
According to the Rome III criteria (diagnostic criteria for all functional gastrointestinal (GI) disorders), for a diagnosis of aerophagia (excessive swallowing of air), patients must have experienced both of the following for the past three months, with symptoms starting at least six months before diagnosis:
  • troublesome repetitive belching at least several times a week
  • air swallowing that is objectively observed or measured.

Continue Learning about Digestive Diseases

Constipated? Always Going? Signs Your Digestion Isn't Normal
Everyone's digestion is a bit different, but there are some universal indicators of a healthy system—and an unhealthy one. First, let’s review the ba...
What is a gastrostomy tube?
Society of Interventional RadiologySociety of Interventional Radiology
A gastrostomy tube is a feeding tube that is inserted into the stomach for individuals who are unabl...
Is an obstetric fistula serious for young girls?
Laura Corio, MDLaura Corio, MD
An obstetric fistula is very serious for a young girl. Thank goodness, in the united states we do no...
What Increases My Risk for Digestive Diseases?