What is the rate of incidence for fructose intolerance?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

According to the U.S. National Library of Medicine, hereditary fructose intolerance, a very serious condition wherein the body cannot digest fructose at all (and is usually diagnosed in infancy), is quite rare, affecting only 1 in 20,000 to 1 in 30,000 children worldwide annually. Fructose malabsorption, the inability of the intestines to absorb fructose properly, is not dangerous but may be unpleasant—and is much more common. Fructose malabsorption is thought to affect about 40 percent of people in the Western hemisphere.

Continue Learning about Digestive Diseases

Constipated? Always Going? Signs Your Digestion Isn't Normal
Everyone's digestion is a bit different, but there are some universal indicators of a healthy system—and an unhealthy one. First, let’s review the ba...
Can gastrointestinal tract birth defects have any complications?
Untreated gastrointestinal birth defects can have serious birth defects, especially if left untr...
How do I manage my digestive disease on a daily basis?
Some digestive diseases, such as celiac disease and lactose intolerance, can be managed with special...
Is GERD the Same Thing As Heartburn?
Is GERD the Same Thing As Heartburn?