What is the rate of incidence for fructose intolerance?

According to the U.S. National Library of Medicine, hereditary fructose intolerance, a very serious condition wherein the body cannot digest fructose at all (and is usually diagnosed in infancy), is quite rare, affecting only 1 in 20,000 to 1 in 30,000 children worldwide annually. Fructose malabsorption, the inability of the intestines to absorb fructose properly, is not dangerous but may be unpleasant—and is much more common. Fructose malabsorption is thought to affect about 40 percent of people in the Western hemisphere.

Continue Learning about Digestive Diseases

Do I Have Celiac Disease, Gluten Sensitivity, or a Wheat Allergy?
Odds are, someone you know has gone gluten-free. Perhaps they’re trying to drop some pounds, or they simply believe it’s healthier for them. Or, maybe...
What causes gastroparesis?
Dr. Marc B. Sonenshine, MDDr. Marc B. Sonenshine, MD
Gastroparesis is the delayed emptying of food from the stomach into the small intestines. Contractio...
Can digestive diseases be prevented?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
To help prevent digestive diseases, doctors recommend the following: Chew food thoroughly, and do...
What Are the Treatment Options for Digestive Diseases?