What are the limitations of a hydrogen breath test?

Patsy Catsos
One problem with hydrogen breath testing is that it is not specific for fructose malabsorption. There are other reasons why your test could be positive for hydrogen in your breath, including invasion of the small intestine by bacteria normally only present in the colon (this is called small intestine bacterial overgrowth, or SIBO).

There are several additional reasons that the test could fail to give a positive result even if you do have fructose malabsorption. Diarrhea or active bowel disease can interfere with the outcome of the test. The dose of fructose given (usually 25 grams) may not be high enough to provoke symptoms in some individuals. In research settings, up to 50 grams of fructose may be given to measure fructose malabsorption. If an individual is a methane producer, and the lab does not analyze breath samples for methane, the test could fail to give a positive result.
IBS: Free at Last! Change Your Carbs, Change Your Life with the FODMAP Elimination Diet, 2nd Edition

IBS should not make you skip a beat—get your groove back! Tired of missing the fun because of your irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)? Confused about what to eat? Think you’re the only one who feels...

Continue Learning about Digestive Diseases

Do I Have Celiac Disease, Gluten Sensitivity, or a Wheat Allergy?
Odds are, someone you know has gone gluten-free. Perhaps they’re trying to drop some pounds, or they simply believe it’s healthier for them. Or, maybe...
What is a healthy gastrointestinal system?
The gastrointestinal system, often referred to as the GI system or digestive system, breaks down the...
How can I protect my children from digestive diseases?
One of the most important ways to protect children from digestive and other diseases is to teach the...
Is GERD the Same Thing As Heartburn?
Is GERD the Same Thing As Heartburn?