What is non-ulcer dyspepsia?

Neal E. Rakov, MD
Gastroenterology
When there is no physical diagnosis of an ulcer, upper gastrointestinal issues are called non-ulcer dyspepsia. These issues, including chronic pain, bloating, cramps and acid reflux, are often associated with more stress in one’s life. Feeling stressed out from juggling many professional and personal tasks can take its toll on your stomach.

There are dozens of over-the-counter medications to treat gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) and ulcers. But there is no clear treatment for non-ulcer dyspepsia, one of the most common and recurring upper-gut disorders that has no clear physical cause, and for which there is no diagnostic test (it is a clinical diagnosis).

A clinical diagnosis usually means that nothing comes up after in-depth diagnostics, such as an endoscopy, colonoscopy and abdominal ultrasound or computed tomography (CT) scanning that can be traced to the symptoms. That is, there are no objective signs of the commonly diagnosed causes of dyspepsia, such as duodenal ulcer, stomach ulcer, inflamed esophagus (esophagitis) and inflamed stomach (gastritis).

Continue Learning about Digestive Diseases

Do I Have Celiac Disease, Gluten Sensitivity, or a Wheat Allergy?
Odds are, someone you know has gone gluten-free. Perhaps they’re trying to drop some pounds, or they simply believe it’s healthier for them. Or, maybe...
What are symptoms of aerophagia?
Lawrence S. Friedman, MDLawrence S. Friedman, MD
According to the Rome III criteria (diagnostic criteria for all functional gastrointestinal (GI) dis...
Are there alternative treatments for digestive diseases?
One alternative treatment is probiotics. Scientists are studying the effects of probiotic supplement...
What Increases My Risk for Digestive Diseases?