What is a gastrostomy tube?

A gastrostomy tube is a feeding tube that is inserted into the stomach for individuals who are unable to take sufficient food by mouth. The feeding tube is inserted through a small nick in the skin and into the stomach under X-ray guidance.
A gastrostomy tube is a tube that is placed surgically in the stomach for nutritional support. It provides a communication between the outside of the body and the stomach by using a button or tube opening on the skin. There are different ways it can be placed, but it always involves a surgical procedure or operation. It can be placed by a surgical incision through the skin and tissue layers into the stomach, or through a less invasive needle-like (percutaneous) approach or via endoscopy. The gastrostomy tube is then used to provide total to partial feedings as well as a route for medications.

Continue Learning about Digestive Diseases

Do I Have Celiac Disease, Gluten Sensitivity, or a Wheat Allergy?
Odds are, someone you know has gone gluten-free. Perhaps they’re trying to drop some pounds, or they simply believe it’s healthier for them. Or, maybe...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with an obstetric fistula?
Caring for someone with an obstetric fistula requires thoughtfulness and great support. Make sure th...
What are the dangers of gastroparesis?
HCA VirginiaHCA Virginia
It is rarely life-threatening condition. Some people will become very malnourished and experience un...
Is GERD the Same Thing As Heartburn?
Is GERD the Same Thing As Heartburn?