What is dysbiosis?

Eva B. Cwynar, MD
The human intestinal tract is inhabited by thousands of strains of bacteria, some beneficial, some harmful. The balance between these strains can have a huge impact on whether a person feels well or ill. When the intestines are healthy and in balance and everything is functioning smoothly, they are described as being in a state of symbiosis. When there is an imbalance of the bacteria in the digestive tract, an overgrowth of yeast, or the presence of viruses or parasites in the intestines, they are described as being in a state of dysbiosis. The way I often describe it is that we have houseguests all the time. Some are welcome, some are not welcome. When there are too many unwelcome guests, we have dysbiosis.
The Fatigue Solution: Increase Your Energy in Eight Easy Steps

Every day, all over the world, millions of women are grappling with many of the same mind and body issues: low sex drive, weight gain, sexual dissatisfaction, chronic stress, anxiety,...

Continue Learning about Digestive Diseases

Do I Have Celiac Disease, Gluten Sensitivity, or a Wheat Allergy?
Odds are, someone you know has gone gluten-free. Perhaps they’re trying to drop some pounds, or they simply believe it’s healthier for them. Or, maybe...
How does an obstetric fistula affect my quality of life?
An obstetric fistula can significantly affect your quality of life. People with this illness may be ...
What is leaky gut syndrome?
Regional Medical Center Bayonet PointRegional Medical Center Bayonet Point
Leaky gut syndrome is a non-medical condition that people associate with abdominal symptoms like blo...
Is GERD the Same Thing As Heartburn?
Is GERD the Same Thing As Heartburn?