What is an enterolith?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

An enterolith is another name for a bezoar. An enterolith is an agglomerated mass of indigestible material, usually hair or fibers. It is found in the digestive tract. They are rare, most often found in children with emotional disturbances, more often female, who may chew hair or other indigestible material. Because it fails to pass into the intestines, it can cause symptoms such as stomach pain, stomach upset, vomiting, diarrhea, and nausea.

Continue Learning about Digestive Diseases

Do I Have Celiac Disease, Gluten Sensitivity, or a Wheat Allergy?
Odds are, someone you know has gone gluten-free. Perhaps they’re trying to drop some pounds, or they simply believe it’s healthier for them. Or, maybe...
How do digestive diseases affect men differently than women?
In men, the muscle that separates the stomach from the esophagus, called the lower esophageal sphinc...
How is functional dyspepsia diagnosed?
NewYork-Presbyterian HospitalNewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
Certain tests can reveal whether the gastrointestinal tract is functioning properly, such as gastric...
What Increases My Risk for Digestive Diseases?