What illnesses affect an obstetric fistula?

Frederick Friedman, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)
Any inflammatory or infectious condition that involves the rectum or vagina may increase the likelihood of an obstetric fistula. Inflammatory bowel diseases such as Crohn's Disease may cause spontaneous fistulae or may interfere with healing following vaginal delivery and an episiotomy or laceration. Infections, including conyloma, may also interfere with healing after delivery and may increase the risk of a fistula. Poor nutrition may similarly increase the likelihood of fistula development.

Illnesses that can affect obstetric fistula are infections in the genital and rectum area and Crohn's disease. Crohn's disease is when the intestinal wall is inflamed; it weakens the intestinal tract and allows a fistula to occur. Infection in your genital or rectum area can also prevent the tissues around the fistula opening from healing. If the tissues are not healthy, the condition will only worsen leading to further infections and other diseases.

Continue Learning about Digestive Diseases

Good News About Difficult Colon Polyps
Good News About Difficult Colon Polyps
Every year tens of thousands of people face serious colon surgery to remove big polyps before they can morph into colon cancer. Many have part of thei...
What should I do if I am lactose intolerant?
If you are lactose intolerant you will need to avoid or eat less of foods that have lactose in them....
How do digestive diseases affect the body?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Digestive diseases interfere with digestion and other organ functions in a number of ways throughout...
What Increases My Risk for Digestive Diseases?